- BS, Georgetown University
- MD, Georgetown University School of Medicine
- General Surgery, Northshore University Hospital, Long Island, New York
- Orthopaedic Surgery, Georgetown University Medical Center
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- Clinical Professor, Georgetown University School of Medicine
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Virginia Orthopaedic Society
- Virginia Medical Society
- Eastern Orthopedic Society
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Georgetown Orthopaedic Society
- Arlington County Medical Society
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
Areas of Specialization
- Sports Medicine
- Total Joint Replacement
- Children and Adolescents
- Arthroscopy: shoulder and knee
- Arthroscopic Bankart rotator cuff repairs
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) reconstruction
- Knee Meniscal Tears
- Arthroscopic Surgery for Shoulder Instability
- Total Hip Replacement
- Total Knee Replacement
- Total Shoulder Replacement
John P. McConnell, MD
A native of Flushing, New York, Dr. John McConnell has always liked working with his hands and knew he would enjoy the variety of patients and problems he could treat as an orthopaedic surgeon. After earning a BS in Chemistry from Georgetown University in Washington, DC, Dr. McConnell received his medical degree from Georgetown University Medical School. He then completed a general surgery internship at Northshore University Hospital in Long Island, New York, and returned to Washington to do an orthopaedic surgery residency at Georgetown University Medical Center.
Dr. McConnell enjoys the challenge of performing complicated operations and finds great satisfaction in seeing his patients get well. He has a special interest in sports medicine and performs a number of intricate procedures including arthroscopy, anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstructions, arthroscopic rotator cuff repairs, and shoulder stabilization procedures.
As an active participant in the professional medical arena, Dr. McConnell has served as the Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery at Virginia Hospital Center and as a member of the Applicant Review Committee of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Also involved in academia, he serves as Director of the Orthopaedic Residency Program at Virginia Hospital Center and as a Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Georgetown University Hospital where he is a three-time recipient of the Kenmore Orthopaedic Teaching Award. Additionally, Dr. McConnell is involved in the local community where he has volunteered time at the Children’s Special Services Clinic in Arlington and he served as team physician for the Washington Redskins for five years.
Dr. McConnell and his wife, Lynn, reside in the Potomac area and are the parents of two young adult children. A black belt in karate, Dr. McConnell is a fitness enthusiast and enjoys golf and scuba diving.
"Dr. McConnell was excellent with the surgery on my husbandís knee. Not one single complication, or problem after the surgery. He even called to check on my husband himself! That means a lot this day in age. Thank you Dr. McConnell!!"
"Dr. McConnell is great!!!" ions, solutions and procedures."
Patient Satisfaction Survey Comment
Annandale High School
George Mason University (assistant)
Tysons Corner Office
1635 N. George Mason Dr
Arlington, Virginia 22205
8320 Old Courthouse Road
Vienna, Virginia 22182